Windows 11 Forum
Can I upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11? - Printable Version

+- Windows 11 Forum (https://window11forum.com)
+-- Forum: FORUM TOPIC (https://window11forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://window11forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Can I upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11? (/showthread.php?tid=31)

Can I upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11? - brighton - 08-28-2021

Can I upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11?

RE: Can I upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11? - brade - 08-28-2021

Windows 11 is on the way, and if you're already a Windows 10 user, it will be free to upgrade to Microsoft's newly redesigned operating system, the company said in a blog post after its virtual event on Thursday. (Find everything you need to know about Windows 11 here.) So long as your PC meets the minimum requirements, you'll be able to update to Windows 11 the same way you usually update Windows 10 -- once it starts rolling out during the 2021 holiday season and into 2022 (we don't have an exact date yet).

To see if your current Windows 10 PC is eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 11, visit Windows.com to download the PC Health Check app. (Here's a set of full instructions for how to use the PC Health Check app and what information it will tell you.) And if you buy a new PC between now and the general release, that computer will also be eligible for the free upgrade.

If you haven't updated to Windows 10 yet, don't worry -- there's a trick for downloading Windows 10 free that still works. Now would be a good time to make the switch to prepare your machine for the Windows 11 upgrade.

Read more: Android apps coming to Windows 11: Everything we know right now

How to download Windows 11, once it's available

Once Windows 11 becomes available, you'll download it the same way you would with any new version of Windows. Most users will go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and click Check for Updates. If available, you'll see Feature update to Windows 11. Click Download and install.

If you want to test out Windows 11 ahead of time, an early beta version will be available next week for those in the Windows Insider Program, and a public beta will be released in July. However, we only recommend installing a beta if you have a second tester device -- not on your main device, as there are likely to be bugs.

RE: Can I upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11? - kingston - 09-12-2021

(08-28-2021, 12:27 PM)brighton Wrote: Can I upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11?

If your existing Windows 10 PC is running the most current version of Windows 10 and meets the minimum hardware specifications it will be able to upgrade to Windows 11. ... To see if your PC is eligible to upgrade, download and run the PC Health Check app.

RE: Can I upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11? - David33 - 09-15-2021

Not necessarily. Sure, there will be generational improvements and refinements in code and how its implemented, whatever.

But for a typical, mid-range PC/Laptop with 4–6 Cores and at least MX 150 (or better), there will be negligible raw performance improvement. On extremely low end hardware like Pentium craps, firstly, Windows 11 might not even be eligible, but it would make minor improvements to make it at least feel a little more snappier, but no guarantees, they’re just slow processors.

There is a major improvement touted to come for GPU Utilization for Gaming and better scheduling for big.LITTLE/Cluster based CPUs like the Intel Alder Lake CPUs.
SO there might be improvements there